About RWE

RWE is the UK’s second largest power producer, supplying around 12% of UK electricity with a diverse operational portfolio of onshore wind, offshore wind, hydro, biomass and gas, amounting to over 9.3GW and the third largest renewable generator in the UK. RWE operates 32 onshore and 9 offshore wind farms with an actual total installed capacity of 3.7 gigawatts (GW) but as we work with partners RWE’s  pro rata share is 2.1GW. 

RWE in Scotland 

RWE has always been a trailblazer of wind power, with Scotland at the forefront of our activity. We developed our first onshore wind farm, Novar, in Ross-shire, as far back as 1997. Today we operate 10 onshore wind farms across Scotland, with 14 more in development, often in partnership with organisations such as Forestry Land Scotland.

We are proud to have constructed and operate Scotland’s first commercial-scale offshore wind farm, Robin Rigg, in the Solway Firth, operational since 2010.

More widely, our 55 megawatts (MW) Markinch Biomass Combined Heat & Power Plant in Fife provides heat to the innovative and award winning Glenrothes District Heat Network, whilst our 16 small scale hydropower plants generate electricity quietly and unobtrusively on rural rivers in the Highlands. Overall, we currently have involvement in over 480 MW of renewable generation in Scotland.

Our partnership with Scotland has strengthened continually over nearly 30 years, during which time we have invested in two Scottish offices, employing experienced technical staff and supporting the Scottish supply chain wherever possible, while working to support the Scottish Government in achieving its ambitious net zero targets.

RWE's Commitment to Scottish supply chain

Investing in and supporting the Scottish supply chain, ensuring people and businesses can share in the benefits of Scotland’s renewable energy potential, has always been of importance to us. When constructing our Bad á Cheò onshore wind farm in Caithness, £7 million was spent on civil works, with approximately 47% of this total spent within 30 kilometres of the site, and the remaining 53% in the rest of the UK. However, our commitment to the Scottish supply chain goes further than just our Scottish projects - RWE procured over £61 million value of goods and services from Scottish companies during the construction of our Gwynt y Môr offshore wind farm in Wales.

We are committed to supporting the development of the Scottish offshore wind industry and supply chain, achieved by working with our suppliers and developing strong partnering relationships and identifying technical challenges and areas for innovation.

Scotland is possibly unique in being an established offshore wind market that is also offering sites with depths suitable for deployment of floating wind. The ScotWind seabed leasing process could establish Scotland as a global leader in floating wind and presents a real opportunity for the Scottish supply chain, both domestically and in export markets. Meeting UK renewable energy targets will require Scottish offshore wind and Scottish floating projects in particular. The prospects of a greater proportion of UK offshore wind projects being facilitated in Scottish Waters provides opportunity for Scotland to get its fair share of the 60% UK local content ambitions by 2030, as set out in the Offshore Wind Sector Deal.

Loading...